Mold is a member of the fungus family. It is rarely killed by heat or cold exposure. Mold stays inactive (dormant) until a certain season, such as spring or fall. Then it grows and thrives.
Mold lives in moist conditions where there is oxygen and other chemicals. Places mold may be found most often include:
On dead or dying vegetation
Moist, shady areas
Rotting leaves and logs
Damp basements and closets
Food storage areas
Air conditioners and humidifiers
Mattresses or upholstered furniture that is damp
Mold spores or fragments may be breathed in through the nose and into the lungs. In some people they may cause allergic reactions or asthma.
There is no known relationship between an allergy to the mold Penicillium and an allergy to the antibiotic penicillin, which is made from the mold. Talk with your child's healthcare provider for more information.